This article will discuss some crucial questions regarding the definition and the subject of the Anussim-Marranos.
- The first part will give some historical outlines, including the expulsion of the Anussim from Southern Italy as well as their persecution during the Inquisition.
- The second part will focus on the question of the identity of the Marranos or the Secret Jews with the aim of finding a pattern of faith between two religions, rather like a border-line identity.
- The article will also take a look at the theme of the Marranos in relation to the phenomenon of social marginalization and the resulting emigration to the Mediterranean and to the American continent.
- Finally, the article will describe how communities of Southern Italy today are seeing a revival of Judaism and are also expressing their attachment to the land of Israel.
- A HISTORY OF THE EXPULSION AND PERSECUTION IN SOUTHERN ITALY
In 70AD slaves from Jerusalem arrived on the shores of Southern Italy – arriving both at Syracuse in Sicily and in Brindisi in Puglia. Continua la lettura
In Sannicandro Garganico there is a synagogue which is part of the U.C.E.I which was founded in 1930. The members of this group have mainly Marrano surnames and they are continuing to make Giur. The founder’s name was Manduzio – from the Marrano name Mendoza. Continua la lettura