This article will discuss some crucial questions regarding the definition and the subject of the Anussim-Marranos.
- The first part will give some historical outlines, including the expulsion of the Anussim from Southern Italy as well as their persecution during the Inquisition.
- The second part will focus on the question of the identity of the Marranos or the Secret Jews with the aim of finding a pattern of faith between two religions, rather like a border-line identity.
- The article will also take a look at the theme of the Marranos in relation to the phenomenon of social marginalization and the resulting emigration to the Mediterranean and to the American continent.
- Finally, the article will describe how communities of Southern Italy today are seeing a revival of Judaism and are also expressing their attachment to the land of Israel.
- A HISTORY OF THE EXPULSION AND PERSECUTION IN SOUTHERN ITALY
In 70AD slaves from Jerusalem arrived on the shores of Southern Italy – arriving both at Syracuse in Sicily and in Brindisi in Puglia. Continua la lettura